How many times have we seen artist impressions, and that’s just that – “impression”? The real thing almost never turns out the same.
Not this time according to architect Stefano Boeri.
Touted as the “most exciting new tower in the world” by Financial times, the Bosco Verticale in Milan may just bring the idea of a Vertical Forest to life!
Already under construction, each luxury apartment will eventually have balcony space to hold over 900 small trees!
Amongst the benefits:
- filtering pollution
- absorbing CO2 and dust particles
- reducing noise pollution to the building
- improving the microclimate
- saving energy by sheltering the building from solar radiation in summer
- reducing rainwater run-off so curbing flooding.
The €65 million project boasts that if horizontal, the vegetation would cover an area of 10,000 square meters! Info from here.
On paper this DOES sound pretty exciting!
Experts though are worried about: 1. the overall energy required to complete this construction/ 2. The support for trees and wet soil weight.
Let’s see how this pans out. It could be the future!